Because "Positive Coaching" is one of AYSO's guiding philosophies, coach training is one of our highest priorities. AYSO also provides a wide range of courses to continue instructing its volunteer coaches.
No Experience? No Problem
We Don't Stop There!
- Our volunteer coaches receive complete training right from the beginning!
- Training and certification for all coaches.
- Age- specific coaching courses provide training for coaches of every level of experience.
- Complete with manuals, handouts and outlines that are continually reviewed and updated.
- Supplemental local instruction programs, camps and clinics.
- Held throughout the country, throughout the year.
AYSO referees do more than just enforce the Laws of the Game. Their job is to make sure the game is safe and enjoyable for everyone: the players, the coaches, the spectators -- and themselves.
- Referee training that teaches not only the letter of the law, but the "Spirit of the Game."
- Six levels of AYSO referee training.
- USSF cross-certification.
- Training for referee instructors, administrators and assessors.
- Ready, Set Ref! video and workbook for new referees.
- Youth Referee Program
- AYSO referees are volunteers, so we want to be sure they have as much fun as the players do.
Because a smooth running program means more fun for everyone, AYSO provides extensive management training for its volunteers. Introductory/Intermediate/Advanced Regional Management courses teach AYSO's league administrators how to manage their local programs. AYSO also provides in-depth operational manuals to assist administrators at every level in all aspects of their AYSO program.
The Board and Staff Introductory Certification (BASIC) audiovisual presentation gives regional volunteers a thorough understanding of their duties.
Back to Top
- Educational conferences conducted annually for each of AYSO's geographic sections.
- Training seminars
- Motivational speakers
- Vendor show
- Exchange of ideas and information.
VIP: Where Everyone Plays! Back to Top
AYSO's Very Important Player (VIP) program offers children and young adults with disabilities the opportunity to play soccer at their own pace. The practices and games are geared to their needs—with fewer and more flexible rules—allowing for a successful sport experience.
Meeting the needs of regions with financial challenges, whether in urban or rural communities, AYSO provides assistance through special funds, designated sponsor products, uniform and equipment donations, and information on acquiring outside resources
"Safe Haven" Child & Volunteer Protection
By becoming trained and certified in their positions through AYSO's Safe Haven program, AYSO volunteers are afforded maximum protection under the federal Volunteer Protection Act of 1997.
Safe Haven means safety for kids. AYSO's volunteer application and screening process reduces the likelihood of abuses occurring while kids are participating in soccer.
AYSO's certification programs are accredited by the National Association of Sports and Physical Education (NASPE), providing universal recognition and validity from colleges, universities, high school athletic associations, national governing bodies of sport, youth sports organizations, and others.z