Director of Marketing and Communications
Southern California based, American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO), a nonprofit association with players across the U.S, is seeking a Director of Marketing and Communications to work with AYSO’s Executive Leadership, volunteer resources, and external contacts to provide a consistent message and brand identity for AYSO. The Director shall work with AYSO’s Executive team to identify potential new business opportunities and to develop plans and action steps to secure such business both on a local and national basis. The Director shall be the executive responsible for the national Marketing interface between AYSO and its current and potential member groups. Areas of responsibility include but are not limited to: AYSO brand management; customer experience; sponsorship sales and servicing; content marketing; promotion, public relations, advertising, communications, market research, product/program, and fundraising.
The Director of Marketing and Communications directs and manages execution of the AYSO brand and the integration (brand architecture) of any additional products or properties that may be developed by AYSO; new corporate sponsors, advertisers, and partners. The planning and execution of internal and external content strategies and tactics including but not limited to events, print and digital publications, websites, online and offline advertising, promotions, public relations and media engagement. The Director of Marketing selects and directs all agencies, consultants and vendors that serve these objectives and responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include, but are not limited to, the following.
- Designs and implements department specific strategic plans, specific short and long-range goals and objectives, policies and operating procedures in alignment with the Organization’s strategic plan.
- Collaborates with the National Executive Director and other National Office Team members and AYSO Volunteer leadership on communication response and planning teams.
- Collaborates with sponsors, business partners, National Office staff, volunteers and other organizations, developing and maintaining effective business relationships, to create programs which meet the needs and interests of our members and volunteers
- In collaboration with the Director of Human Resources, the Director appropriately selects and develops qualified staff members, in accordance with governmental and/or company policies or guidelines, to deliver department objectives.
- Provides leadership and managerial direction, evaluating and revising organizational structure as needed, for most effective implementation of programs and services within the Department
- Working in coalition with appropriate National Office departments, aggressively identifies existing and prospective sources of program-specific funds
- Recommends preliminary budget requirements, prepares and manages department budget, reviews costs periodically and determines allocation of funds for staff, supplies, equipment and facilities
- Develops and analyzes assessment methods and tools (such as surveys, questionnaires, interviews, and group discussions) to obtain relevant feedback from the membership on Marketing initiatives
- Produces in a timely fashion operating reports and resolutions to organizational challenges that ensure minimum costs and prevention of program delays
- Manages challenging situations and recommend effective solutions.
- Organizes and develops training manuals, reference library, testing and evaluation procedures, multimedia visual aids, and other educational materials
- Makes public presentations and participates in the delivery of seminars and workshops, as needed, at volunteer meetings and site visits, displaying the highest levels of integrity to the corporate and volunteer membership to serve as a positive representation of the organization
- Researches and selects outside consultants and trainers to conduct training in specific topics
- Maintains records and prepares statistical reports to evaluate performance of all initiatives
- Implements and enforces organizational policies, establishes procedures and directives of the Board of Directors, to ensure compliance with organizational standards
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES include, but are not limited to, the following.
- Foster teamwork throughout the department and the Organization
- Development and management of the AYSO brand architecture and strategy
- Development and management of all AYSO sub-brands
- Corporate sponsorship sales strategy and execution
- Media engagement, including fielding and/or direct responses to media-related inquiries.
- Public relations strategies, policies and procedures.
- Advertising and promotions to include, but not limited to print, digital, television, out-of-home, trade shows and events.
- Relationships with sponsors and outside agencies including development and execution of activation programs.
- Content marketing strategy and execution to include, but not limited to national websites, enewsletters, blogs, publications, apps and social media
- Partnership marketing
- Licensing relationships
- Fundraising and alumni engagement
- Development of annual budget for areas of responsibility and monitoring marketing and sales expenditures according to established budgets.
- Business management including demonstrating cost effective ways to increase productivity, manage expenses, etc.
- Administration and relevant reporting and planning systems.
- Relevant reporting of management and financial information for marketing and sales functions.
- Maintenance and development of a corporate image and reputation that honors AYSO’s philosophies and goals, and protects the organization’s brands.
- Plan and manage internal communications and awareness of organization direction, mission, aims and activities.
- Develop and drive annual themes to create brand identity for organization meetings and events as well as executing promotional materials that reflect the themes.
- Work with other departments to enhance image and quality of programs, publications and products.
- Manage brand identity and consumer research. Makes changes to strategies based on results and findings.
- Analyze and report the success/effectiveness of targeted campaigns, special events/promotions, etc.
- Assist with special projects as directed by National Executive Director
- Direct writers and designers and oversee copywriting, design, and production of promotional materials, advertising and organizational collateral.
- Associated duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The individual must demonstrate and utilize discretionary judgment and be able to make decisions independently and responsibly. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
- Experience in strategic and tactical planning, people management and execution.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of communications, marketing, sales, and public relations/media engagement.
- Demonstrated successful experience in corporate-level presenting and negotiating.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print and digital materials and publications.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Explorer, Outlook./li>
- Enthusiastic, aggressive, a self-starter, confident, professional, and a creative problem-solver.
- Effective communicator, highly self-motivated, creative and focused decision maker.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills, written and oral.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate to all levels of volunteers, staff, clients and vendors;
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as part of a team.
- Ability to initiate, co-ordinate and organize projects/tasks through to completion accurately and on time.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include weekends or evenings.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university and/or equivalent experience.
- Master’s or other advanced study preferred.
- At least 10 years related and progressively responsible experience and/or training in sports, entertainment and/or consumer marketing, program development, or project/organization and management or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Please note that some weekend and evening work may be required as well as intermittent travel. This position is located at the National Headquarters in Torrance, California; there is no consideration for relocation for this position.
Please submit your application here.