National Executive Director
The American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO) is looking for a new National Executive Director (NED).
AYSO is a non-profit organization that provides youth soccer programs for participants all over the United States. Consisting of over 50,000 teams, six million alumni and 500,000 players nationwide, AYSO is one of the leading youth soccer organizations in the world. It is often called “world’s biggest soccer club.” AYSO’s vision is to provide world class youth soccer programs that enrich children’s lives. This position is based at the AYSO National Office in Torrance, Calif.
The NED serves as AYSO’s chief professional officer and is responsible for the leadership, management, and growth of the organization. The NED’s focus is on strategic planning and continuous improvement of the organization’s programs and processes.
Reporting to AYSO’s National Board of Directors, the NED provides strategic direction toward achievement of AYSO’s goals and vision. The NED is a professional leader and resource to the Board, staff and volunteers in addressing AYSO’s opportunities and challenges.
Implementing the strategic plan is a primary responsibility of the NED. S/he will work with the board and national staff to continually position the National Office as resource for the interest of all members and development of programs and services. The NED will ensure that AYSO can respond quickly and appropriately to changes and new opportunities in the marketplace.
This position is responsible for the overall direction and evaluation of the AYSO National Office and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following.Essential Job Functions:
- Manage the business and affairs of the Organization.
- Hire, supervise and direct all employees of the Organization, and have the power to delegate responsibilities and commensurate authority to subordinates.
- Manage the collection, deposit, investment and disbursement of all funds of the Organization in accordance with the specific or general instructions of the National Treasurer.
- Be a nonvoting staff advisor to the Board, Executive Committee and/or standing committees.
- Have the general powers and duties of management usually vested in the office of a National Executive Director of a nonprofit volunteer organization.
- Have such other powers and duties as may be prescribed by the board or the AYSO bylaws, rules and regulations; and National Policy Statements.
- Fosters teamwork throughout the organization in alignment with AYSO’s inherent culture.
- Leads the national organization and its constituents through a planning and change process that is transparent, sets appropriate priorities, and effectively and efficiently uses human and financial resources to address key strategic issues.
- Actively and continually identify strategic opportunities and challenges for the Organization and collaborate with the National President and NBOD on effective solutions.
- Provide leadership and management for staff and volunteers in the development and implementation of AYSO’s plans. Set goals and strategy with staff. Review and evaluate progress and implementation with Board and staff.
- Develop, implement, and monitor conformance with an annual budget.
- Ensure the sound financial management of the organization and oversee the preparation of reports, records and other documentation as requested by the Board that present the progress and status of AYSO’s plan and activities.
- Recruit, motivate, deploy, and supervise a national staff that can effectively carry out the organization’s mission.
- Ensure that the organization properly manages its exposure to risk and liability.
- Provide leadership for the cultivation of productive relationships with volunteer leaders, corporate sponsors, and representatives of other like-minded organizations.
- Ensure that the organization’s story, message, and program success are effectively developed and disseminated to the general community.
- Work effectively with the Board and other volunteer leaders and committees to efficiently manage their efforts. Ensure that meetings are properly arranged, organized, and conducted productively. Work with leadership to develop the skills and knowledge required to build consensus on issues.
- Build and maintain working relationships with leaders of youth sports organizations and governing bodies.
- Serve as professional advisor and resource to the Board in all areas of programs, finance, policy, and governance.
- Associated duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual in this position must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The individual must demonstrate and utilize discretionary judgment and be able to make decisions independently and responsibly. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required..
- Success in working with or leading national organizations that have local chapters or grassroots components.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively in pro-actively developing new opportunities as the marketplace dictates.
- Demonstrated track record of performance excellence in a national service-oriented organization.
- Strong leadership skills with a philosophy and style that encourages creativity, growth, collaboration, problem solving, open communication, and accountability.
- Exceptional leadership, supervisory, and team-building skills in an environment that involves significant volunteer participation.
- Strong track record of partnering with a Board of Directors
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, human behavior and performance, and coordination of people and resources.
- A creative and skillful professional able to motivate others and instill a positive work ethic.
- Ability to present as a confident, informed, and inspiring leader and spokesperson.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A background in soccer or organized sports management is preferred.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include weekends or evenings.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university and/or equivalent experience.
- Master’s or other advanced study a plus.
- Experience in strategic and tactical planning, people management and execution.
- Financial management experience (budget development and management).
- Experience in establishing accountability for senior management team.
- AYSO executive management experience is essential.
- At least 10 years progressive senior level management and organizational leadership experience in a paid-professional capacity.
AYSO offers a comprehensive benefit package including medical/dental/vision/403b as well as paid time off and holidays.
Please include a cover letter with your resume, letting us know why you think that you would be a good fit for AYSO.
Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. Apply here