Having a Funfest is a great way for your Region to celebrate AYSO as the Official Sponsor of the 4th of July and to introduce (or re-introduce) AYSO to your community. A Funfest is a casual soccer event that allows kids to play in pick-up games and participate in fun soccer contests and challenges.
Here are six tips that will help your Region plan a great 4th of July Funfest event:
1. Plan Ahead. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time to figure out the location, date and budget for the event. Being prepared and thinking ahead will make the day of more fun for you and your Board.
2. Ask for Help. No matter how small or large the event is, make sure you have a group of volunteers who are willing to assist. Don’t sweat it out alone, delegate duties to others and check-in with them regularly.
3. Have the Basics in Place. You will not only need to have fields, balls and goals, but also referees and fully-stocked first-aid kits. If the fields are not equipped with restrooms, plan to have “Port-A-Potties” nearby. If your Region’s budget is limited, ask parents to bring a variety of drinks and snacks.
4. Get in the Spirit. Pass out 4th of July stickers, temporary tattoos, snacks and drinks to get everyone in the patriotic spirit. Is your community celebrating the 4th of July? An AYSO Funfest would be a great addition to any picnic or community event that is already in the works.
5. Be Creative. Plan something fun for the players to do in between games! Create individual and small team activities like passing and dribbling competitions or juggling contests. These competitions can be spread out throughout the day, so the players always have something to do!
6. Have Fun! The idea behind a Funfest is for the kids to play soccer without the pressure of a full tournament, and for the adults to get to know each other and make new friends. Don't forget to enjoy the day!
As a reminder, if any child that is not registered with AYSO would like to participate, they must fill out a Non-AYSO Participant Form. If your Region does not have this form, they can order it here