7 Tips for Golf Cart Safety
Golf carts or Utility Task Vehicles (UTVs) are being used widely in many AYSO Regions. The vehicles provide necessary assistance to volunteers while they perform a multitude of tasks, and it is important that they are utilized carefully and correctly.
Here are seven ways to ensure your Region is safely using and storing these vehicles:
- Use of the vehicles should be limited to a strict number of registered volunteers. A list of authorized users should be approved at a Region meeting yearly.
- All approved drivers must be 18 years of age with a valid driver's license.
- Drivers should be trained on how to operate the vehicle per the manufacturer's user manual.
- Drivers should be taught how to properly store the vehicles when not in use for short or long periods of time.
- Tip: Copy the operating directions from the owner's manual and create a document all approved drivers can sign after training. The signed documents should be saved by the Region’s Safety Director.
- The vehicles must not be used to carry more than the number of people allowed as stated in the manual.
- All drivers must understand the importance of maintaining a slow speed when operating the vehicles around soccer fields filled with players and parents.
- Regional Equipment Insurance is recommended for all Regions who own UTVs.