Make Fields Safer Through Goal Safety
Seven Easy Tips to Follow
Many AYSO Regions use portable soccer goals, which can too easily be tipped over - often with tragic results. These tip-over incidents often happen when players climb or hang from the crossbar of a goal but have been known to happen from a simple gust of wind or the slightest push. To help avoid these incidents, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has come up with the following safety guidelines:
- Securely anchor or counterweight portable goals at all times.
- Check all connecting hardware before each use. Replace damaged or missing fasteners immediately.
- Ensure safety labels are clearly visible.
- Never allow anyone to climb on the net or goal framework.
- Remove nets when goals are not in use.
- Tip unused goals onto their goal face, or chain goals to nearby fence posts, dugouts or any other similar sturdy fixture.
- Fully disassemble goals for seasonal storage.
For a goal safety checklist: Goal Safety Checklist